“Sudanese President may be charged with genocide”
The ambassador said Friday that the International Criminal Court has indicated to Sudanese officials that al-Bashir may be charged over the five-year campaign of violence in the country’s Darfur region. If the warrant is issued by Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo it would make al-Bashir the first sitting president to be indicted by the ICC for genocide.
Sudan’s U.N. ambassador Mahmoud Mohamad spoke angrily as speculation swirled about an impending arrest warrant. “All options are open for us. All reactions are open,” he told CNN outside the Security Council. Moreno-Ocampo, he said, is “playing with fire.”
The prosecutor said in a progress report last month to the Security Council that Sudan’s “whole state apparatus” has been mobilized “to plan, commit, and cover up crimes” in Darfur.
As a result Sudan is seeking an Arab League’s meeting to speak about this: Sudan has said any such move could undermine the Darfur peace process. Two senior government officials told Reuters Sudan would likely seek Chinese, Russian and African support at the United Nations to help block any warrant for Bashir.
The Panorama TV programme tracked down Chinese army lorries in the Sudanese province that came from a batch exported from China to Sudan in 2005. The BBC was also told that China was training fighter pilots who fly Chinese A5 Fantan fighter jets in Darfur. China’s government has declined to comment on the BBC’s findings, which contravene a UN arms embargo on Darfur.
(…) The UN started looking for these lorries in Darfur three years ago, suspecting they had been sent there, but never found them. “We had no specific access to Sudanese government army stores, we were not allowed to take down factory codes or model numbers or registrations etc to verify these kinds of things,” said EJ Hogendoorn, a member of the UN panel of experts that was involved in trying to locate the lorries.