Karadzic due in war crimes court
The former Bosnian Serb leader, Radovan Karadzic, is due to be formally charged by the UN war crimes tribunal.
Mr Karadzic was indicted on 11 counts of war crimes in connection with the 1990s Bosnian conflict, but the exact charges will only be revealed in court.
(…) Mr Karadzic left Belgrade on Wednesday hours after clashes at a rally attended by at least 10,000 supporters to protest about his arrest.
He then took a special flight to Rotterdam airport in the Netherlands, from where he was transferred to the UN’s detention unit.
(…) Goran Petronijevic, who joined the Karadzic legal team on Tuesday, admitted that reports of an appeal being sent by post to the authorities in Serbia had been a ruse designed to delay Mr Karadzic’s extradition in order to allow time for his family to visit him in jail.
Yesterday, at Hague Tribunal, he vowed to defend himself and accused the West in general and US in particular of “breaking an agreement that would keep him out of court”.
Karadzic was prevented from reading in full a four-page statement he had prepared, although he managed to tell the court that he had wanted to appear before the tribunal soon after his 1995 indictment. He suggested a deal had been cut with U.S. diplomat Richard Holbrooke, who negotiated the Dayton peace agreement ending the war in Bosnia, that Karadzic would not be sent to The Hague if he didn’t endanger the accord.
“My commitment was to withdraw . . . even from literary life and all sorts of public life,” said Karadzic, a trained psychiatrist and a poet. In return, he said, “the United States of America would fulfill its commitments.”
Holbrooke dismissed the allegation. “It’s an old story by one of the worst mass murderers in the world, and it’s completely untrue,” Holbrooke said in a phone interview. “There was no deal. It would have been immoral, illegal and disgraceful.”
It’s a good way of increasing Serbian hate against US…